The DIA is embarking on a bold new program to create "the best small city downtown in America" and we need your help. This new program will revitalize, energize and improve downtown and we want to involve you.
Over the next ten years we want to build downtown Ithaca into the nation's best example of a dynamic, successful small city downtown district. In particular, we want to:
- Create more housing opportunities;
- Recruit more downtown jobs;
- Add more retail shops;
- Develop more attractions for tourists, students and local residents;
- Strengthen downtown as a center for arts, dining and entertainment;
- Nurture a safe, clean, friendly and exciting environment second to none.
Our downtown revitalization effort is a community project and concern. We need both your financial support and heart-felt interest. Therefore, we have established the "Friends of Downtown Ithaca" program.
What is a Friend?
Friends are downtown supporters who believe that there is a positive future for downtown. Friends believe that downtown Ithaca is important to the entire region and are willing to stand up and be counted as constituents of downtown.
What do Friends receive?
- Progress reports on downtown development and planning;
- Priority FAXs, E-mails and newsletters about downtown events and stories;
- Special alerts about downtown issues and legislative initiatives;
- Invitations to downtown ribbon cuttings and information sharing sessions;
- Invitations to annual Downtown Friends Recognition party.
What would we like our Friends to do?
- Make a financial contribution to the future of downtown. Any size is appreciated and welcome;
- Provide a voice of support for downtown initiatives and proposals;
- Provide us with your written thoughts and ideas about downtown;
- Be ambassadors for downtown to prospective businesses;
- Volunteer, as your time permits, with downtown activities, events or projects.