Downtown Ithaca's Race for the Space
Scroll to the bottom of this page for:
• Race for the Space Pre-Application
• Printable Race for the Space Rules & Regulations
• Printable Race for the Space Flyer
Call for Proposals
1. The Downtown Ithaca Alliance invites both existing and prospective new retailers to submit proposals.
2. We seek any and all retail and commercial businesses that will be compatible with the Downtown 2020 Strategic Plan and that will complement and add to our collection of regionally significant boutique shopping and dining. Bonus points to be given to proposers who represent one of the priority business types listed below.
3. Applying is a two-step process. All proposers are asked to submit a short, easy to complete pre-application found on the Downtown Ithaca Alliance web site. The pre-application helps us understand what you would like to do and why you think it will succeed.
4. The Downtown Ithaca Alliance Business Retention & Development Committee will confidentially review all pre-applications and select a group of finalists. Criteria for selecting finals are: Is this a viable business? Is this a compatible business? Will the proposer be able to bring this concept to fruition in a timely manner?
5. All finalists must submit a business plan that can demonstrate the feasibility and viability of the business in downtown Ithaca.
6. Finalists must be willing and able to open their business, if selected, within 4 months of notification of award. If not already obtained, documentation of financing will need to be demonstrated within 60 days of notification of award.
7. Awardees must be able to sign a three year lease, with year one rent not paid.
8. Awardees shall be responsible for utilities, telephone, and all other costs normally associated with business operation. The DIA can provide proposers with likely estimates of these operating costs.
9. The Downtown Ithaca Alliance reserves the right to accept and/or reject any and all submissions.
10. All submissions will be treated as confidential.
Winning Business Expectations
• Sign a minimum three year lease.
• Pay any utilities or other related occupancy costs.
• Successfully obtain funding/financing within 60 days of notification of award.
• Open within 4 months of notice of award.
• Work collaboratively with the DIA during the first year of operation, to ensure maximum opportunity for success.
Priority businesses sought for Downtown Ithaca
• Women’s apparel
• Ethnic or specialty restaurants not represented
• Children’s wear
• Old fashioned candy shop
• Women’s accessories
• General retail merchandise
Several downtown Ithaca landlords have made commitments to the Downtown Ithaca Alliance for store front spaces for this competition. Because Ithaca remains a dynamic and fluid market, that exact space(s) may not be finalized until the end of the competition. As of February 8, 2012, it is known that:
• One or two spaces will be made available depending upon availability in May/June 2012.
• One of these spaces will located on the Ithaca Commons pedestrian mall.
• We will work to match spaces with appropriate and best fit uses.
• The spaces will be approximately 1,500 square feet in size and have high visibility.
• Interested applicants can obtain more information on the spaces by signing a non-disclosure agreement with the DIA and the participating landlord(s).
• Participating landlords will be involved in the selection process.
• Finalists for the Race for the Space prize will work closely with the DIA to ensure that their proposal and the available spaces are the best possible matches.