MARCH 27, 2020 — Tompkins Consolidated Area Transit (TCAT), Tompkins County’s transit service and a primary transportation provider for the Downtown Ithaca community, will be reducing service for the second time this month starting Monday, March 30, while still maintaining as many travel options as possible for those who need to go out for essentials.
Ridership is about 10 percent of what it was previous to the recent statewide escalation of the coronavirus crisis, which has people staying at home and social distancing each day, according to TCAT.
The newly adjusted service will better coincide with the reduced demand while also providing more flexible scheduling to give TCAT drivers some relief.
The new schedules will be in effect tentatively through end of spring service period May 23, but they are subject to change depending on how the crisis evolves in the coming weeks. Given the unpredictability, riders are strongly advised to check TCAT’s Bus Tracker and MyStop and other apps before boarding.
Reminder: TCAT is operating fare-free through April 9, to avoid rider-driver contact at the farebox.
Routes not operating are 11N; 11S: 53; 72, 74; 75; 81, 83W; 83; 90; 92 and 93. Routes typically operating only weekdays will be extended to seven days a week.
The following routes are to be adjusted as follows:
Route 10: Mon.-Fri.
It will operate from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Frequency reduced to 30 minutes. The last two trips will have a little more frequency starting from Seneca St. Station at 5:24 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.
Route 11: Mon.-Sun:
- Outbound hourly service from Green St. Station starting at 8:08 a.m. with the last trip at 6:08 p.m.
- Inbound hourly service from College Circle Apts. starting at 8:30 a.m. with the last trip at 6:30 p.m.
Note: Route interlines (or offers one-seat rides) to both the routes 15 and 13 to serve shopping areas.
Route 13: Mon.-Sun.:
Route shortened for efficiency and will only serve the Commons to and from Northside neighborhood, Aldi and Fall Creek.
- Outbound hourly service from Green St. Station starting 8:34 a.m. with last trip at 6:34 p.m.
- Inbound hourly service from Falls @ Lake starts at 8:51 a.m. with last trip at 6:51 p.m.
Route 14: Mon.-Sun.:
- Outbound hourly service starts at Green S. Stations at 8 a.m. with last trip at 6 p.m.
- Inbound hourly service starts from Cayuga Medical Center hourly at 8:25 a.m.; THEN (:27 on the hour) from 9:27 a.m. through 1:27 p.m., and THEN (:35 on the hour) from 2:35p.m. to 5:35 p.m.
- Last inbound departs Cayuga Medical Center is 6:36 p.m.
Route 14S: Mon.-Sun:
Slight reduction in service. Routing change due to Hector St. construction.
- Route leaves West Village 10:28 a.m.; 11:23 a.m.; 12:18 p.m.; 1:13 p.m. and 2:08 p.m. (to serve Conifer/Linderman; Overlook and Cayuga Meadows.)
- Return trip departing Walmart 11:10 a.m.; 12:05 p.m.; 1 p.m.; and 1:55 p.m.
Route 15: Mon.-Sun.:
- Outbound hourly service starts at Seneca St. Station at 8 a.m. with the last trip at 6 p.m.
- Inbound hourly service from Tops starts at 8:14 a.m. with the last trips at 6:14 p.m.
Route 17: Normal service on routes that are scheduled to operate.
Route 20: Mon. Fri.:
Routing change due to Hector St. construction. Route will follow Elm to Westhaven.
- Outbound hourly service Green St. Station from 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. and outbound from Vet School at 2:15 p.m. and 4:55 p.m.
- Inbound departing hourly from Enfield Highway Dept. at 7:25 a.m.; 10:25 a.m.; 2:52 p.m. and 5:38 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday
- Outbound service from Green St. Station from 7:45 a.m. and 10 a.m.; Vet School at 2:15 p.m. and 4:55 p.m.
- Inbound from Enfield Highway Dept. at 8:10 a.m.; 10:25 a.m.; 2:52 p.m. and 5:38 p.m.
Route 21: Mon.-Sun:
- Outbound service from Green St. Station at 6:45 a.m. and 9:40 a.m., and Vet School at 3:03 p.m. and 5:50 p.m.
- Inbound departs Aubles Trailer Park at 7:15 a.m.; 10:10 a.m.; 3:50 p.m.; and 6:35 p.m.
Route 30: Mon.-Fri.
- Outbound half-hour service from Green St. Station at 8 a.m. with the last trip at 6 p.m.
- Inbound from Shops at Ithaca Mall 8:28 a.m. with last trip leaving the mall at 5:58 p.m.
Sat. and Sun.
- Outbound leaving Green St. Station every hour from 8 a.m. with last trip 6 p.m.
- Inbound from Shops at Ithaca Mall every hour from 8:28 a.m. through 5:28 p.m.
Route 31: No weekend service.
- Outbound service from Green St. Station every hour from 8:05 a.m. through 6:05 p.m.
- Inbound service from Convenient Care every hour from 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.; and every hour from 2:38 p.m. through 5:38 p.m.
Route 32: Mon.-Sat.
- Outbound leaving Green St. Station every hour from 8 a.m. through 6 p.m.
- Inbound leaving Ithaca Tompkins International Airport every hour from 8:23 a.m. through 5:23 p.m.
Note: This route will no longer be interlined (or become a one-seat ride) with the route 15.
Route 36 and 37 to run clockwise and counterclockwise: Weekdays only:
- A.M. outbound route 36 from Green St. Station at 6:40 a.m. and 9:48 a.m.
- A.M. inbound route 37 from Lansing Town Hall at 7:12 a.m. and 10:20 a.m.
- P.M. outbound route 37 outbound from Green St. Station. 2:45 p.m. and 6:05 p.m.
- P.M. inbound route 36 from Lansing Town Hall 3:27 p.m. and 6:45 p.m.
Route 40: Mon.-Fri.
- Outbound from Green St. Station 6:42 a.m.; 10:55 a.m.; 1:10 p.m.; and 5:05 p.m.
- Inbound from Groton Express Market at 7:15 a.m.; 11:40 a.m.; 1:52 p.m. and 5:46 p.m.
Sat. and Sun.
- Outbound from Green St. Station from 8:40 a.m.; 11:35 a.m.; 1:10 p.m.; and 5:05 p.m.
- Inbound from Groton Express Market at 9:12 a.m.; 12:18 p.m.; 1:52 p.m.; and 5:46 p.m.
Route 41: Weekday only service has timing changes. Schwartz Center for Performing Arts stop relocated to Statler Hall due to construction.
- Trips will be running 20 minutes later in both directions. There will no trips inbound departing 11 a.m.; 12 p.m. and 1 p.m.
- The last a.m. outbound trip from Statler departs at 10:57 a.m.
- The last p.m. outbound trip from Statler departs at 5:57 p.m.
Route 43: Mon. – Sun.:
- Outbound from Green St. Station, first trip 6:40 a.m. and then 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.; 6 p.m.
- Inbound from TC3/Dryden at 7:15 a.m.; 11:10 a.m.; 2:20 p.m. and 6:45 p.m.
Route 51: Mon. through Sun.
- Outbound service from Green St. Station hourly from 8:20 a.m. through 5:20 p.m.
- Inbound from Eastern Heights @ Skyvue hourly from 8:51 a.m. through 5:51 p.m. (Please note that the inbound 51 at the Vet School interlines or becomes a route 67 and will first stop downtown.)
Route 52: Mon.-Fri.
- Outbound from Green St. Station at 7:20 a.m.; 11:10 a.m.; 3:05 p.m. and 6:10 p.m.
- Inbound from Caroline Turnaround at 7:40 a.m.; 11:50 a.m.; 3:45 p.m. and 6:50 p.m.
Sat. and Sun.
- Outbound from Green St. Station at 7:20 a.m.; 10:10 a.m.; 3:05 p.m. and 6:10 p.m.
- Inbound from Caroline Turnaround at 7:40 a.m.; 10:50 a.m.; 3:45 p.m. and 6:50 p.m.
Route 53 not running: Use route 52 for service to Brooktondale.
Route 65: Mon. through Sun.
- Outbound from Vet School at 8:08 a.m.; 3:35 p.m.; and 5:05 p.m. and outbound from Green St. Station at 12:15 p.m.
- Inbound from Hillside View Trailer Park at 8:40 a.m.; 12:35 p.m.; 4:10 p.m. and 5:37 p.m.
Route 67: Mon. through Sun.:
- Outbound from Seneca St. Station at 7:05 a.m.; 10:45 a.m.; 2:50 p.m. and outbound from Vet School at 6:08 p.m.
- Inbound from Newfield Central School at 7:26 a.m.; 11:10 a.m.; 3:15 p.m. and 6:44 p.m.
Route 70: Sat. and Sun.
- Outbound hourly service from Green St. Station 8:30 a.m. through 5:30 p.m.
- Inbound hourly service from Shops at Ithaca Mall hourly from 8:58 a.m. to 5:58 p.m.
Route 72: not running. See route 32, which is running seven days a week.
Route 74: not running. See route 40, which is running seven days a week
Route 75: not running. See route 43, which is running seven days a week.
Route 77: Sat. and Sun.
- Loop leaving shops at Ithaca Mall at 1:30 p.m. 3 p.m. 3:55 p.m. and 4:55 p.m.
- Leaving Village Solars at 1:44 p.m.; 3:14 p.m.; 4:09 p.m. and 5:09 p.m.
- Leaving Winston Court at 1:55 p.m.; 3:25 p.m.; 4:20 p.m. and 5:20 p.m.
Route 81: No service. See route 82.
Route 82: Frequency to remain at 30 minutes with service operating between 8 a.m. and 6 p.m.
- Southbound from A Lot: first trip 8:15 a.m. every half hour through 5:45 p.m.
- Northbound from East Hill Plaza every half hour from 8:18 a.m. through 9:48 a.m. and every half hour after from 10:20 a.m. through 6:20 p.m.
As announced earlier, Green St. Station indoor waiting area will be closed until further notice.
TCAT is asking people to obey stay-at-home orders, practice social distancing and heed the advice of medical professionals. Use the bus only if you really need to. Don’t board if you are sick or have any symptoms. Follow guidelines from the Tompkins County Department of Health. TCAT’s customer service representatives are available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Mon.-Fri. at (607) 277-RIDE (7433).
TCAT’s FAQs will be updated periodically: https://www.tcatbus.com/frequently-asked-questions-about-tcat-the-coronavirus-crisis/