Recommended Safety Checklist for your place of business during COVID-19
If your store is closed until further notice and you are not checking your storefront regularly, please make sure you have taken steps necessary to insure your facility is secure.
- Make sure ALL doors and windows are locked.
- Remove ALL cash and items of extreme value from your place of business, both at the register and also in any back-office space.
- Contact the Non-emergency 911 Dispatch Center: (607) 272-3245 and provide them with the most up to date emergency contact information.
- Make sure your security cameras or security system, make sure they are working properly if you have them. If cameras are on a WiFi system, check the cameras regularly to make sure they are continuously connected and have not lost signal.
- Put mail on hold, forward to a home address, or regularly collect accumulated mail.
- Keep lights on. Use light timers if you have them.
- Remove any valuable items from window displays or items you are concerned about.
- If you or a staff member are able to check in on the storefront - keeping mindful of social distancing guidelines - do so. Regularly check all doors and windows are still locked. Remove any accumulated mail or newspapers at the door.
- Continue to check your shop email and respond to customers.
- Additional item for safety considerations:
- Check that your store insurance policy is up to date with inventory assessment of what is in store.
- If something should happen, you can not claim for IPD continues to monitor Downtown. If you have questions, please call the non-emergency number provided above (607) 272-3245.
Downtown Ithaca Alliance staff is routinely in touch with other districts for ideas and information sharing. Here is a one-sheet put together by Yonge Street District in Canada and the security steps/guidelines they have shared with their merchants. We are sharing with you because we found it well laid-out and had helpful recommendations.
Is Your Emergency Contact Info Up To Date with the Ithaca Police?
Contact the Non-emergency 911 Dispatch Center for Ithaca:
Provide them with the most up to date emergency contact information.
The Ithaca Police Department will continue to provide routine surveillance of the downtown area during COVID-19.